Full Job Description
Position Title: Northern Ontario Reporter /DMPI
Division: Programming and Content
Salary range: $61,408-$71,189
Reports To: Managing Editor, Digital
Location: Toronto, Yonge & Eglinton (Hybrid Work)
TVO Media Education Group is a social impact charity at the intersection of digital learning, journalism, and immersive storytelling. As creators of award-winning content, we inspire learning that changes lives and enriches communities.
What’s in it for you
When it comes to learning, we walk the talk: it’s the cornerstone of everything we do, and each one of us invests deeply in our own learning while elevating each other’s knowledge – whether through peer-to-peer learning, workshops or lunch & learns. You’ll work with folks who are thrilled and driven by the digital learning and media landscapes. Roll up your sleeves and work cross functionally with great teams where collaboration is the beating heart of all that we do. We’re a tight-knit community and we’re just the right size, meaning that you’ll get to meet and work with people from across our organization, at all levels – the ones who have been here for 10 months, 10 years, and well beyond. Maybe you’ll even get to meet Polkaroo.
Who we are
TVO Media Education Group has embarked on an ambitious transformation as part of our new strategic vision. We know we are a better organization when we honour our commitments, when we thrive with diverse voices, when we value bold thinking, and embrace change. We understand and celebrate that we are better, together.
We are proud and thrilled to be named a Greater Toronto Top Employer of 2023! This is a testament to the incredible work we do, every day, and the impact that we have on the lives of Ontarians.
However you jump in with us, you’ll join a team of good people who are constantly inspired and challenged to do great work. Join us on our journey as we go from great to greater.
TVO Media Education Group is funded primarily by the Province of Ontario, and is a registered charity supported by thousands of sponsors and donors. Find and follow us on: YouTube (@TVO), Twitter (@TVO), Facebook (@TVO), and Instagram (@WeAreTVO).
The northern Ontario Hubs reporter is critical to our journalism, highlighting stories and issues that matter to the region and to the province at large. You’re driven to pursue coverage of everything from the Ring of Fire to Thunder Bay city hall to First Nations governance, always with an eye to the human element that makes policy personal. Through text and multimedia reporting, you’ll provide new insights that will resonate both locally and with readers from across Ontario. This is a one-year contract opportunity.
Who you are:
You are knowledgeable in the political and social issues that affect northern Ontario and make a point of remaining up to date on developments in the region.
You are well-versed in journalism fundamentals and dedicated to producing thoroughly reported pieces that tell compelling stories. Your copy is clean, and you prioritize filing on time and at a steady pace.
You have an informed sense of the elements of digital visual storytelling, with experience doing stills and video using an iPhone. You are also keen to create content for digital platforms such as TikTok and YouTube. You have some experience creating podcast content (or at least would like to try your hand at it). You understand and engage with social media.
While you’re confident working independently, you also value the collegiality and strength that collaboration brings. Your journalism is grounded in the standards and best practices of the profession, and you exercise sound judgment but are willing to take creative chances. You’ve got some experience doing investigative journalism.
What you’ll do:
- Conceive, pitch, and write timely reported features and shorter text articles for TVO.org
- File once to twice a week
- Build and maintain a large network of diverse communities and contacts throughout northern Ontario
- Ensure that perspectives from diverse and underrepresented communities are included in written and video work
- Employ innovative ideas and production methods using contemporary digital visual storytelling trends, practices, tools, and techniques
What you bring to TVO:
- Four or more years’ experience as a multi-media journalist, including written journalism (opinion and reported) and digital-video content creation
- A clear understanding of journalistic principles and practices
- Experience with rigorous editing processes geared at achieving the highest standards
- A track record of developing stories that draw on diverse perspectives
- Familiarity with video scripting, research, and production
- A portfolio that demonstrates an inventive approach to storytelling and shows creativity and a desire to push boundaries
- Highly developed organizational skills and a demonstrated ability to file stories on deadline
- A passion for explanatory and solutions journalism
- investigative and data journalism experience is a bonus
- Applicants should have at least a G2 driver’s license for reporting trips.
We invite you to submit your application by February 6, 2023, at 5 p.m. Think you don’t have everything we’re asking for but know you can make a big impact? Tell us your story, and we will be happy to consider you.
To learn more about us and our culture, please visit us at https://www.tvo.org/about/work-at-tvo.
other jobs: Nurse or Nursing Assistant at Clinique de santé M – Head Office
- Junior webmaster wanted in Nestlé
- Microcom technology is recruiting for the position of graphic designer fulltime
- 2A Stationary Engineer, Team Leader – Montreal World Trade Center
- Works Team Supervisor (ETC) – Work site manager Montreal
- Downtown Safety Ambassador for the community – Salary $23 an hour
- Northern Ontario Reporter (DMPI) needed at TVO – $61,408-$71,189
Laisser un commentaire